What Is MEA? The Marion Education Association (MEA) is a group of over 1,500 local
teachers that is recognized as the legal bargaining agent for all
instructional personnel in Marion County. We are education professionals
who take great pride in speaking for quality education practices and for
serving and protecting our members best interests.
This joining together in pursuit of common interests is as old as the nation
itself. The Preamble to the Constitution aimed "To Build a More Perfect
Union" when our Forefathers felt disenfranchised and abused by those in
power. In many ways, the education professional today feels a similar
frustration,and deserves an equally effective way to translate those
feelings into collective action. In that respect, we are similar to
other professionals, like doctors and attorneys, who create professional alliances.
MEA, through and with its state and national affiliates, is such a
professional organization that brings teachers together so that our voices as
education professionals can be heard and respected. When you become a member
of MEA, you are supporting an organization that is working through the school
system, the Legislature, and the community to build support for higher
standards of conduct and achievement in our classrooms.
MEA works diligently to improve professional compensation and protecting our
members' rights through expert collective bargaining, grievance processing
and political action. At the same time, we are strong advocates for
professionalism in education. Thus, we offer training, seminars and
workshops, as well as up-to-the-minute information on the constantly changing
demands and requirements of our profession.
The heart of MEA goes beyond what the Association does for you. The real
question is, are you ready to be an active part of the Association? Join MEA
and help the unified profession achieve its economic and professional goals.
We can do together what none of us can do alone!
Imagine the future if we all work together!
Local 1,500+ voices
State 142,000+ voices
National 4,200,000+ voices
WHY BELONG TO MEA?
1. Promoting excellence in Public Education: MEA is there to ensure your
voice is heard when it comes to improving the quality of education for the
children of Marion County's schools.
2. Working in Your Best Interests: Contracting for professional salaries,
job security, working conditions and fringe benefits are our priority.
3. Giving Personalized Assistance: Members can rely on leaders and staff
to be there with personal representation when they are needed.
4. Standing by You in Times of Trouble: Your professional rights are
vigorously defended through a robust Legal Services Program.
5. Enhancing Teacher Image and Performance: MEA, FEA, NEA and AFT provide
professional development opportunities through a large variety of workshops,
forums and conferences that are designed to help you do a better job.
6. Getting You What is Fair and Equitable: MEA is justifiably proud of
its record in resolving contract violations, settling grievances, and
resolving other employee conflicts swiftly and favorably.
7. Publishing Up-To-Date materials: MEA members receive several valuable
and informative professional publications from our affiliates FEA, NEA and AFT.
8. Purchasing Things You Use at a Discount: Members can now save more than
the cost of their annual dues, starting with the new FEA Access Card. Other
member benefits include low-cost auto and home insurance, low-fee credit
cards, high-yield annuities and many other discounted consumer goods andservices.
Our first-year members also receive a life insurance package from the AFT and NEA which includes AD & D coverage.
YOUR MEMBER BENEFITS INCLUDE:
* Professional liability insurance
* Magazine discounts
* Auto rental discounts
* Bargaining representation
* Free job-related Legal assistance
* Grievance representation
* Attorney referral service
* Attorney discounts
* Professional staff assistance
* NEA professional library
* Training/professional development
* Workshops and classroom materials
* Union discounted Auto, Home, Life, Disability insurances
* Scholarship and grant opportunities
* Salary, benefits, job security
* Credit card programs
* Information and publications
* Personal assistance
* Lobbying, legislative and political action
A FEW OF MEA'S CONTRACTUAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS ON YOUR BEHALF:
* Fought for and won double step increases in 09/10 & 11/12 school years!
* Employer paid health and life insurance
* Teacher workday prior to report card entry deadline
* Supervisory-free lunch period
* Up to six personal days chargeable to sick leave(no reason to give)
* Guaranteed teacher membership on District Committees
* Local School Committee for addressing issues to Principal
* Developmental process required prior to adverse evaluation
* Accountability of School Advisory Councils
* Sick Leave Bank opportunity
* Time-limited grievance procedure
* Right to view personnel file
* Right to respond in writing to adverse documents
* 255 minutes of Prep and Planning Time on the clock per week
* Flexible dress code
* Just Cause disciplinary requirement
* Advance notice of teaching assignment and consultation before change
* Right to confidential survey of administrative supervisors
* Voluntary participation in after-school and evening activities
* Participation in Job Description development process
* Discounted extended-day childcare
* Relief from maintenance and repair duties
* Protection from unsafe/hazardous working conditions
* Access to student discipline and arrest records
The contract is protected through active exercise of those rights enumerated
therein and vigorous pursuit of grievances (MEA exclusive right).
You strengthen the contract by your membership in and support of your
professional association, the largest labor organization in Marion County.
MEA Does Not Work Alone...
We receive funding, member benefits, staff assistance, professional
publications, legal support, and expert lobbying in the halls of government
where the rules you work by are hammered out in the democratic process, from
our several state and national associations:
The National Education Association (NEA), the nation's largest professional
employee organization, is committed to advancing the cause of public
education. NEA's 3.2 million members work at every level of education, from
pre-school to university graduate programs. NEA has affiliate organizations
in every state and they provide us locally with professional staff and
The mission of the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO, is to improve
the lives of its members and their families, to give voice to their
legitimate professional, economic and social aspirations, to strengthen the
institutions in which they work, to improve the quality of the services they
provide, to bring together all members to assist and support one another and
to promote democracy, human rights and freedom in our union, in our nation
and throughout the world. Locally AFT provides quality staff development
through the ER&D Program
The Florida Education Association (FEA) has a long, proud history of
advocating for its members, Florida's children, and public schools. With
more than 137,000 members, including teachers, education staff professionals,
higher education faculty, retired members, and students studying to be
educators, we are the largest professional employee organization in Florida.
FEA is our voice in Tallahassee, working every day to make your professional
life more bearable.